Silvia Dorta-Duque de Reyes served as an Expert Panel Member for the development of the California ELD Standards and subsequently contributed as Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee Member for the California Department of Education.
She is well known for her contributions in the areas of curriculum design, staff development, and parent involvement. Her area of expertise is biliteracy with a focus on academic language, writing, and the organization of instruction for explicit teaching of Spanish to English cross-linguistic transfer.
In collaboration with the CCSSO and the California Department of Education, she coordinated the Spanish translation and linguistic augmentation of the Common Core State Standards for Language Arts and Mathematics.
Her work has been recognized often and she has received various awards such as:
- 2018 NABE Leadership Award, recognizing her work to improve the educational excellence for bilingual and multilingual students
- Teacher of the Year, San Diego County
- Special Education Teacher of the Year, San Diego State University
- Administrator of the Year, California Association for Bilingual Education
- Professional Development Award, California Association for Bilingual Education
Silvia Dorta-Duque de Reyes worked as ELD and Spanish Language Arts Coordinator at the San Diego County Office of Education for 20 years. Silvia is currently a National Biliteracy Consultant and Instructional Curriculum Designer for Benchmark Education.